Under each of these agreements, the tenant usually has the exclusivity of using a bedroom and sharing facilities such as bathrooms and kitchens with the landlord (and other tenants). If you rent a room or part of a house to the landlord or tenant, but you are not a tenant, you are a boarder or subtenant. It`s sometimes hard to know if you`re a tenant or not, but you`re probably a boarder/tenant if you share bathroom and toilet and kitchen and if the money you pay includes food….